There’s nothing more Aussie than a meat pie and this kangaroo, sweet potato & shiraz pie recipe takes it to a whole new level. This recipe has been provided by our new Head Chef, Ben Starkey. It makes six large pies to feed a growing family or 18 party pies to feed a crowd at your Australia Day party.
- 1kg Kangaroo fillet, trimmed and diced into 1.5 cm pieces
- 500g sweet potato peeled and diced into 1 cm pieces
- 200g bacon, sliced into 1.5 cm pieces
- 2 thyme sprigs
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 litres of beef stock
- 1 x bottle of good South Australian Shiraz
- 2 tablespoons red currant jelly
- 100g arrowroot flour (or corn flour) to thicken
- salt and pepper
- Short crust or pie cases (should be available from the supermarket)
- 2 x sheets puff pastry
- 1 x egg
- 30ml milk
- Heat large skillet or fry pan to a medium heat.
- Add olive oil then sweet potato. Cook the sweet potato until it starts to colour but do not cook through.
- Remove the sweet potato from the pan and set aside.
- Add bacon to the hot pan and cook until the fat renders.
- Remove bacon from the pan and set aside.
- Add kangaroo to the pan on high heat.
- Add thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the kangaroo until it is rare (the meat should have colour but don’t over it).
- Remove the kangaroo from the pan to stop the cooking process.
- Put the 2 litres of beef stock in a saucepan and reduce to 350ml.
- Put the bottle of wine into a separate saucepan and reduce to 100ml.
- Add the beef stock reduction to Shiraz reduction.
- Add red currant jelly.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Thicken the sauce with arrowroot flour or corn flour (it should be thicker than gravy).
- Set aside and allow sauce to cool.
- Add the kangaroo pie filling to cooled sauce and mix gently.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Par bake the pastry cases (follow directions on the pack).
- Remove the pastry cases from the oven and allow them to cool.
- Fill the cooled pie cases and top each pie with puff pastry.
- Whisk the egg and mix together.
- Brush each pie with egg wash.
- Bake pies at 170 degrees for 18 minutes for large pies and 15 minutes for party pies.