On behalf of Rory’s School Lunches, welcome back to the 2017 school year. We have been very busy over the holidays creating our new 2017 menu and fitting out new canteens.
About the New 2017 Menu
You may recall we invited parents and schools in Term 2, 2016 to “Tell Us What You Think” via an online survey. The survey results provided great food for thought and guided the choices we made for our new 2017 menu.
To recap, the biggest issues raised in the survey were:
- Variety: more than 50 percent of respondents requested specific food items on the menu, ranging from treat items like frozen coke and hot chips through to health food items like organic soups and salads.
- Healthy food: a request for parents for more home-made healthy food items.
- Value for money: ways to make lunch money stretch further.
- Special dietary requirements: a call for more vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free options.
The survey results highlighted how diverse the student population is at the schools we cater to. Our catering must meet student, parent, school and social expectations in terms of:
- religious beliefs
- cultural preferences
While we say there is one new 2017 menu, there are actually many different versions of the main menu to accommodate the diverse range of schools we cater for. For example, the menu for adult education centres such as Marden Senior College and Thebarton Senior College include more spicy foods than the primary school menu. In addition, we provide a wider range of international dishes from the cafeteria for the adult students.
For most schools, there are approximately 70 different items on our main menu, with additional dishes sold via the canteen in high schools. We trust this provides lots of variety for students.
The research results showed there is a group of parents who want plenty of healthy green food options for their children. Of course, the catering challenge for Rory’s to provide healthy food that students want to eat! In response, Rory’s School Lunches has added many new items to the menu including:
Salads – quinoa & roasted cauliflower, vermicelli noodle, Greek, tandoori chicken, make your own and more.
- Cold rolls with chicken, vegetables and fresh herbs.
- Pizzas – such as the Vegorama with roasted sweet potato, eggplant, zucchini, capsicum, red onion, fresh basil and mozzarella cheese.
- Burgers – including the Mexican Burger with Smashed Avocado with a patty made from black beans.
- Healthy Snacks – dips & vegetable sticks, watermelon cups and fruit cups.
Value for Money
We understand that purchasing lunch for children is an extra expense for the family budget, especially when there are two or more children at school. Our business embraces the ongoing challenge to prepare delicious food using good quality locally grown ingredients at an affordable price. To provide families with value for money, the new 2017 menu includes:
- Meal Deals – combos that include a home-cooked meal, sandwich or salad plus a drink at one fixed discounted price.
- Meals Under $5 – plenty of healthy and filling lunch choices for less than $5.
Special Dietary Requirements
Parents told us they want more dishes on the menu to cater for students with special dietary requirements. In response, we have added more options for vegans, vegetarians and those following a dairy-free or gluten-free diet. Specifically, we offer:
- Gluten-free rolls, which can be filled with egg, tuna, salads and gluten-free mayonnaise.
- Dairy-free meals, including vegan lasagne, Mexican burger with smashed avocado, salads, potato wedges cold rolls.
- Vegan & Vegetarian, such as vegan lasagne, Mexican burger, dips & sticks and Vegorama pizza.
Ongoing, we will be looking at ways to replace ingredients that trigger allergies without compromising on taste.
Thank you to all the parents, students and schools who took time to respond to the 2016 Tell Us What You Think survey. Your input has changed our menu to cater more specifically for your student’s dietary needs. Stay tuned for the 2017 Tell Us What You Think survey later in the year.
We invite you to try our new 2017 menu and tell us what you think via the Contact Us section on our website.