This pear & rhubarb crumble is the perfect comfort food to lift your spirits in the winter chill. I recommend Corella pears for this recipe because they are in season in the Adelaide Hills. But you could easily substitute them for other varieties such as Packhams, Beurre Bosc or Williams. It’s the perfect time of year to visit the Adelaide Hills. The fresh air is bracing! A visit to a farmer’s market is a must to collect freshly grown rhubarb and maybe some Adelaide Hills cream to top off your crumble.
- 6 Corella pears.
- 1/4 Bunch rhubarb.
- 100 g Softened butter.
- 1/3 Cup oats.
- 1/3 Cup plain flour.
- 1/3 Cup brown sugar.
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- 2 Tablespoons castor sugar.
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice.
Pear & Rhubarb Crumble Filling
- Peel, core and dice pears into approximately 2cm pieces.
- To stop the pears from going brown, place them in cold water with lemon juice.
- Trim leaves off of the rhubarb and chop it into 1cm pieces.
- Melt 40g of butter in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Add (drained and dry) pears.
- Stir in nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Control the heat so the pears stew gently.
- As the pears turn translucent, add the rhubarb, stir for 1 minute then add the caster sugar.
- Taste the filling and adjust sweetness if necessary.
- Set the filling aside and allow it to cool.
- Using your fingers, rub together flour, remaining butter, oats and brown sugar until it has the consistency of bread crumbs.
Assemble & Bake
- Place the apple and rhubarb filling in a pie tin (or ramekins for individual crumbles).
- Or you can make or buy sweet short crust pie shells to place crumble in.
- Top with crumble mixture.
- Bake at 180* for 18-20 minutes.
- Rest the crumble for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with crème analgise, custard, ice cream or cream.
Like this pear & rhubarb crumble recipe? Check out more recipes on our blog.